Do you know when it’s recommended to bring your child to the dentist for their first visit?
The answer is just after their third birthday. By then, your child has tried many foods and can benefit from a dental visit. Also at that age, your child is capable of sitting up in the chair, which makes it easier for the dental team to examine their teeth. Read through our suggestions to ensure that your child’s first dental experience with our Lansing dentist is one that sets them up for success.
Helping Your Child Prevent Cavities
It’s no mystery that children are particularly susceptible to cavities. With sugary foods and cereals often targeting kids, many of the foods they want to eat are detrimental to their oral health. At the our office in Lansing, Michigan, Dr. Crawford can clean your child’s teeth and ensure that their smiles are developing correctly. Here are ways you can help them prevent cavities between visits to our office:
Tips for Preventing Cavities for Your Child
- Opt for nutritious snacks for your child
- Avoid sticky and sugary foods when possible
- Be aware of your child’s beverages – low sugar drinks and water are best!
- Teach them proper oral care habits, including brushing, flossing, and rinsing
What to Expect During Your Child’s First Dental Visit
If your child is able to understand and enjoy their first visit to the dentist, the experience will give them a positive perspective that will encourage dental care in the future. Here are a few tips for preparing your child for their first visit to Implant Dentistry of Greater Lansing:
- Introduce the dentist to them through books or videos
- Make sure they know that their parents also go to the dentist
- Prepare them by teaching them about oral care ahead of time
- Let them tour the office upon arrival
- Encourage them to read, play, and relax at the dental office
- Tell them they’ll get a healthy reward if they’re good at the dentist
Count on Dr. Crawford to Care for Your Child’s Oral Health
Introducing your child to dental care is one of the best things you can do for their overall health. If they start out their lives with a good opinion of the dentist, then your child is more likely to keep up with their dental care in the future. Dr. Crawford and his team understands that the dentist is a major trip for a kid. Trust us to provide the best dental care available to your child. If you have questions on your kid’s first dental visit, contact our Lansing, MI office today!